Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Printice Hall's Grammar and Composition Book

I am learning the right English grammar and some composition techniques with the use of this book, Printice Hall's Grammar and Composition (Book). I remember, when I was in my tertiary years especially during my sophomore years, my teacher really adviced us to buy this book because we are going to use it for the rest of the semester.

Frankly, this book helps a lot with my skills in learning proper English. When I was in my elementary years, I hate English and I find it too difficult to understand learning the subject. It took me more years to fully understand its scope and its vital techniques from subject-verb agrement to basic sentence patten.

Now, I can say with much pride that I am having the right skill that could help me express what I feel in the form of making various compositions with the right tool in English.

In this book, it speaks about these following topics:

Grammar Usage Mechanics - Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Prepositions, Conjunctions and Interjections

Basic Sentence Parts and Patterns - The Sentence, Subject and Verbs, Compound Subjects and Compound Verbs, Hard-to-Find Subjects, Direct Objects, Indirect Objects, Objective Complement, Subject Complement, Basic Sentence Pattern, Diagramming Basic Sentence Pattern.

Phrases - Prepositional Phrases, Appositive and Appositive Phrases, Participles and Participial Phrases, Gerunds and Gerund Phrases, Infinitive and Infinitive Phrases, Diagramming Phrases.

Clauses - Ajective Clauses, Adverb Clauses, Noun Clauses, Sentence Classified by Structure and Function, Diagramming Clauses.

Avoiding Sentence Errors - Fragments, Run-ons, Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers

Verb Usage - Verb Tenses, Expressing Time through Tense, Active and Passive Voice

Pronoun Usage - The Cases of Pronouns, Special Problems with Pronouns

Agreement - Subject - Verb Agreement, Pronoun and Antecedent Agreement

Adjective and Adverb Usage - Degree of Comparison, Clear Comparison

Miscellaneous Problems in Usage - Negative Sentences, Fifty Common Usage Problem

Mechanics - Capitalization and Abbreviation, Rules for Abbreviation

Punctuation - End Marks, Commas that Separate Basic Elements, Commas that Set Off Added Elements, The Semicolon and the Colon, Quotation Marks with Direct Quotations, Underlining and Other Uses of Quotation Marks, Dashes and Parentheses, The Hyphen, The Apostrophe

No comments: